This is one orange you shouldn’t have on your school campus.

Share with your friends










Submit

When it comes to oranges, visions of sweet tasting summer fruit come to mind.  And for most of us that is all we should think about.  But, not all oranges are created equally and some are poisonous to small children.

Poisonous Plants & Animals on School Campuses

The Osage Orange trees are great for creating wind barriers and generating shade, but their poisonous nature makes them unsuitable for school campuses.

There are many plants and animals that are not suitable for school campuses. As we go on our journey to teach sustainability and creating a green planet, we should be mindful of poisonous and injurious plants.  Gardens are a great place to learn, but soil lead contents and the types of plants used should be taken into consideration.

The Handbooks for Poisonous Plants for Schools

There are two handbooks that we suggest schools and PTA’s use when determining which poisonous plants and animals should not  be allowed on school campuses.  They are:

Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants by Lewis Nelson available on Amazon 

American Medical Association of Poisonous and Injurious Plants available on Amazon

These two books will help guide you through the process of selecting appropriate plants and animals for various locations throughout your school sites. These are also great books to provide to your nursing staff for the purpose of treating students symptoms.  We cannot control the plants and animals we will encounter on field trips, camping trips and during emergency situations where we have to relocate.

The Osage Orange

The Osage Orange (Maclura Pomifera)  is not orange in color but green.  The tree bears large fruits, while not highly poisonous, eating this fruit may cause vomiting.

poisonous plants for schools

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *