You may have already seen this video, but if you haven’t it is disturbing. Spring Valley High School in South Carolina is in the hot seat for the actions of this school police officer. After watching the video it is clear that school administrators and risk managers need to provide more training on handling incidents at their sites.
There are so many variables at play here, but some that come to mind are:
- excessive force
- peaceful protests
- using lower level security to remove students
- how to escort students to the Principal’s Office
- chain of command
- that we are dealing with students and not hardened criminals
- that there should always be two officers to handle incidents
- teachers need training in Management of Aggressive Behavior
- personnel reviews
Once you have reviewed the video, please let us know your thoughts. How would you handle this if it happened at your school?